Installing and configuring MailScanner for virus and spam filtering (Postfix, ClamAV, SpamAssassin, Razor)

MailScanner is an e-mail security and anti-spam package for e-mail gateway systems. MailScanner is highly configurable using a very easy-to-use system of rulesets. Virtually every configuration option can, for example, be controlled on a per-user, per-domain or per-IP basis.

It’s assumed that you have already installed and configured Postfix according to this tutorial:
Installing Postfix with MySql backend and SASL for SMTP authentication

1. Add backports to your apt sources (pico /etc/apt/sources.list)

deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main contrib non-free

2. Add the backports keyring and update apt

apt-get update
apt-get install debian-backports-keyring
apt-get update

3. Install required packages (ClamAV, SpamAssassin, Razor and required libs for MailScanner)

apt-get install clamav clamav-base clamav-freshclam libclamav6 spamassassin razor unzip libarchive-zip-perl libconvert-tnef-perl libhtml-parser-perl libmime-tools-perl libmime-perl libcompress-zlib-perl libconvert-binhex-perl libdbd-sqlite3-perl libfilesys-df-perl libsys-syslog-perl libsys-hostname-long-perl libmailtools-perl libole-storage-lite-perl libnet-cidr-perl
Continue reading

Installing Dovecot IMAP and POP daemon with MySql backend

Dovecot is an open source IMAP and POP3 server for Linux/UNIX-like systems, written primarily with security in mind. Dovecot primarily aims to be a lightweight, fast and easy to set up open source mailserver.

It’s assumed that you have already installed and configured Postfix according to this tutorial:
Installing Postfix with MySql backend and SASL for SMTP authentication

1. Install required packages

apt-get install dovecot-imapd dovecot-pop3d
Continue reading

Installing Courier POP3 and IMAP daemon with MySql backend

The Courier mail transfer agent (MTA) is an integrated mail/groupware server based on open commodity protocols, such as ESMTP, IMAP, POP3, LDAP, SSL, and HTTP. Courier provides ESMTP, IMAP, POP3, webmail, and mailing list services within a single, consistent, framework. In this tutorial we’ll only use the Courier POP3 and IMAP services.

It’s assumed that you have already installed and configured Postfix according to this tutorial: Installing Postfix with MySql backend and SASL for SMTP authentication

1. Install required packages

apt-get install courier-authdaemon courier-authlib-mysql courier-pop courier-pop-ssl courier-imap courier-imap-ssl
Continue reading

Installing Postfix with MySql backend and SASL for SMTP authentication

Postfix is a free and open source mail transfer agent (MTA). It is intended as a fast, easy-to-administer, and secure alternative to the widely-used Sendmail MTA.

Install and configure Postfix

1. Install Postfix and SASL

apt-get install postfix postfix-mysql libsasl2-modules-sql sasl2-bin libsasl2-2 postfix-tls libpam-mysql
> Internet Site
> host.domain.com
Continue reading

Installing the DSPAM web frontend on lenny

This tutorial covers installing and configuring the DSPAM web frontend. Using the web frontend, the mail users can configure the sensitivity of the spam filter, see statistics and more.

I assume you already have the Apache2 web server and DSPAM daemon installed.

1. Install the dspam-webfrontend package and suexec module for the Apache2 web server.

apt-get install dspam-webfrontend apache2-suexec
Continue reading

Installing DSPAM with ClamAV for Postfix on lenny

DSPAM is a scalable and open-source content-based spam filter designed for multi-user enterprise systems. On a properly configured system, many users experience results between 99.5% – 99.95%, or one error for every 200 to 2000 messages.

Install and configure the DSPAM daemon

1. Install DSPAM daemon with MySql storage driver and ClamAV. The installer will create a database and required table structure.

apt-get install DSPAM libdspam7-drv-mysql clamav
> Yes
> Type the password for the root user in MySql
> Select a strong password or allow a random password to be generated
Continue reading

Installing Postfix with MySql backend and TLS

In this tutorial we’ll install a ready to use Postfix mail server with MySql backend for virtual users. Notice that this tutorial only covers installing the SMTP server (not POP3 and IMAP). Click here for a tutorial on installing Courier POP3 and IMAp services.

Once installed and configured, you can easily create your own admin system to modifiy the domains and users because the table structure is very simple.

This tutorial has been tested on Debian etch and lenny

1. Install the Postfix mail server, MySql server and other required packages

apt-get install postfix postfix-mysql sasl2-bin libsasl2-modules mysql-client mysql-server libpam-mysql
Continue reading